The Drake Musing
1.23.2006
 
Pittsburgh's Going to the Super Bowl!
I was originally going to title today's post, "Quick Hits from the Weekend", but after typing well over 1,500 words, I realized that, brevity not being my strong suit, I'd have to turn each 'quick hit' into a post of its own.

My first offering:

Apparently, Bill Cowher reads the blogs. The whole of Da 'Burgh is basking in the glow of the Steelers' masterful domination of the Denver Broncos in the AFC Championship game yesterday afternoon. I'm not yet ready to recant my previous statements about Cowher's status among the NFL coaching elite, but aside from a brief foray into "protect-the-lead" mode early in the second half, the Steelers were clearly in control of the game. I am fully prepared, however, to give Mr. Bill credit for preparing and building up his players to get some amazing play from a group nobody gave a chance to be where they are this morning -- on the brink of greatness. And, yes, that includes Coach Cowher. Troy Polamalu is a freak of nature, Joey Porter is finally inspiring fear in the minds and feet of quarterbacks everywhere (Matt Hasselback, you're next!), Ben Roethlisberger seems poised to be the kind of quarterback us Yinzers having been longing for ever since Terry Bradshaw traded in his pads for a microphone, and The Bus... what can you say, but who in this world not living in the Pacific Northwest doesn't want to see him go out on top in the Big Game in his hometown?

Way to go, fellas! You've done all that we could ask for, and more. Now go close the deal, send The Bus to Canton in style, and bring us home One For The Thumb!

By the way, I'd like my crow well done and marinated in jerk spices.

Comments:
Glad I didn't end up watching the game afterall. If I had, they would have lost.
 
I think having good or great players in practically every position has really opened things up for Cowher. It's like I said before, I think he's a great coach, and I just glean that opinion by seeing all the stinky players he got into the playoffs. Seemed to me that Stranahan was in the same position that Cowher was in for all these years. Do you still think so highly of Stranahan?

(BTW, I still don't think Cowher's a god, just don't think you give him enough credit. On the other hand, I think alot of the credit goes to the other Steelers' coaches.)
 
You make some good points, Kelly. It's true that Cowher certainly has more high-quality players than he has in the past, although he has had a fair amount of control over that in the past.

One thing the analysts said in their post-game analysis is that the real difference is in the quarterback position. Like I said in the post, Pittsburgh has not had a high-quality quarterback since Bradshaw retired. But it appears that Ben is the real deal.

As for Shanahan, I'd still say he's just a notch above Cowher, just from a statistical point of view. It's all about the Super Bowls, and he has two. If Cowher wins this year and next, I say he takes that next step in coaching greatness.

As for taking stinky players to the playoffs, I'd contest that point a bit. The Steelers have had consistently great defenses, ranking in the top 3, if not at the top, in defensive ranking over that period. Defense wins championships, they say. I say that's only true if the defense consistently scores 20 points a game.

No, it's been the offense, and bone-headed play at the quarterback position, specifically. The only time Cowher had a really competent quarterback prior to Big Ben was Neil O'Donnell, and they went to the Super Bowl. I believe Neil still holds the all-time NFL record for 'protecting the football' - some calculated stat that measures how many turnovers/snap the quarterback is responsible for.

I will concede that Coach Cowher will probably establish himself as the second best coach in the game right now with a victory in the Super Bowl. Shanahan and Dungy compare in terms of winning pct., but only Belichick exceeds him at this point in putting together a quality team using whoever's available, overcoming adversity, game planning, and most importantly, winning championships.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger