The Drake Musing
1.11.2006
 
The Final Act
D decided to drop the final straw on my back this morning, and now it's over for good.

To briefly recap the sordid history of our breakup, when I agreed to sign the divorce papers this fall, D agreed to do the following:

1. Hold off on the divorce until the end of the year, so that I wouldn't lose medical coverage on myself and my children and could get settled onto my own company's plan during the open enrollment period that would take effect at the first of the year.

2. Stay in the house and continue to pay her part of the bills until sometime in the summer of 2006.

What did D do?

1. Took a job in the Baltimore area and moved out of the house on the First of December, losing her medical benefits until they kick in on the First of February and leaving me with none.

2. Filed the divorce papers and obtained the decree on Nov. 17 -- a full month and a half prior to our agreement.

3. Promised to send me money every month to cover her part of the household expenses until roughly the time when she had originally planned to leave.

Today, D informed me by email that she would no longer be sending me a check for those expenses, after only making one payment since leaving. Her reasoning behind this was that since my son has come to live with me, and I have been promised repayment by V of his portion of my child support payment, and that she expected that I would now be able to claim him as a dependent, that I no longer needed her money. More likely, D recognized that now that I have my son in school and have begun to invest myself heavily in home improvements, she was no longer in danger of having a foreclosure coming down on her head.

Regardless of how difficult it might be for me to make ends meet in the present.

In light of these facts, plus her completely insane behavior on New Year's Eve and so many other broken commitments over the past three years, I've just decided to let it go. Whatever God is going to do with her, I'm not going to be around. It's just one too many times that I've taken the high road while she breaks commitment after commitment in her insistence that there's something better out there for her.

All I can say is, "Good luck with that."

Comments:
I'm sorry, especially about the insurance. It was remarkably inconsiderate to place you in a risky position.
 
That's true, it was extraordinarily inconsiderate from a person who likes to believe that she handles these breakups with civility. Fortunately, I was able to get benefits under a 'change in circumstances' clause that my company offers. However, she didn't know that when she made her choice, only saying that I could opt for COBRA coverage (at full cost) to make up for the gap.

Nice, huh?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger