The Drake Musing
1.10.2006
 
7 Bits
1. I think I am in love with SLC Urban Princess. I have no idea what she looks like, except what I can glean from the Yahoo avatar she put on her blog. What I dig about the Princess is that she is very feminine, putting a lot of thought, time and energy into her shoes and purses. You women may not know it, but we guys really like it when you invest that much of yourselves in looking good. Beyond that, the Princess is a very good writer and displays a mirth that I find essential to any good relationship. Although she's a bit too liberal politically and theologically for my taste, she's young and will most likely get over it in time. If only I could find her Doppleganger here in the 'Burgh!

2. For those of you wondering what's happening with the D situation, especially in light of my confessed infatuation with SLC Urban Princess, I've pretty much decided to move on. With my son at home, all of the care and attention that that requires, and a newfound zeal for transforming my money-pit of a house into a home that expresses my personality and values, I have realized that all of my attempts to convince D to be in this relationship have been a waste of time and effort. Now, I simply have better things to do. I still miss D, and regret not being able to continue making progress with her boys, especially the younger one. However, while they still have a place in my heart, I am finding it harder and harder to see a place for them in my home, as it transforms under my blood, sweat and vision. This past weekend, I had 6 kids in my home, and it was a great time. In fact, they left the house cleaner when they left than it was when they got there. I truly believe that much of this has to do with being able to drive the activities and interactions based solely on my values, their needs, and a clear statement of exactly who was in charge. Not having my energy diverted and depleted by conflicts with D was a key part of being able to set the tone for the weekend and keep everyone playing from the same sheet of music.

3. Mario Lemieux is threatening to take the Penguins to Las Vegas unless he gets a new arena. I say, "Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way to airport, you French Canadian fuck!" While you're at it, book a seat for Kevin McClatchy and his minor league baseball team. Only the Rooneys and the Steelers have treated this city with the respect it deserves when it comes to putting a professional sports team out there with our name on it. They, and their team, reflect the spirit and personality of our city better than anything else out there, except maybe the Heinz companies. Only the Steelers have justified the expense of building a new stadium that was shoved down our throats by the criminals who we stupidly elected to local and state seats of government. I could care less if Pittsburgh ever fields another professional baseball, hockey, soccer, or basketball team. Pittsburgh first has to learn how to be a real city before it can possibly hope to support any other sports franchise besides our beloved Steelers.

4. To continue on the subject of the Steelers, why is it that they succeed, while the Penguins and Pirates continue to flounder on the brink of dissolution? Two reasons, I think. First, the Rooney family are real Pittsburghers. They are frugal, hard-working, competitive, unpretentious, and loyal. At a time when most other franchises in the league are in a constant state of flux, trying to buy championships via free agency and yearly changes in the front office and coaching staff, the Steelers are the model of stability and consistency. Second, they win. Consistently. While I think Bill Cowher is the least bright of all the top tier coaches, especially when facing in-game adversity, he is still in the top tier -- and deservedly so. I believe that he will end his career as the winningest coach of all time and wind up in the Hall of Fame. Why? Because Cowher is also a true Pittsburgher and gets what the Rooneys are all about. He too, is loyal, both to the Rooneys and to his players. The end result is that at the end of his fourteenth season with the team, he's averaged ten wins per season and is the longest tenured active head coach in the league. By the time he retires, he most likely will hold the records for most wins, have a Super Bowl or two under his belt, and will have set an unattainable standard for longevity in the head coaching position.

5. Tools rock. I used my Sears card this past week to buy a new shop vac and reciprocating saw for my kitchen project. This coming weekend, I will buy myself a tabletop wet saw to cut tile for my new countertops. Add in the miter saw I bought last summer, and I am kicking ass on my remodeling project.

6. I appear to have lost weight (about 10 lbs.), simply by not being at work. I guess not sitting on my ass all day and being forced to make my own food have benefits after all. Now, if I can just get myself back to the gym, I will be super hot by the time summer rolls around again.

7. Getting back into the flow of work after having two weeks off is more difficult than I expected, which is one reason why I'm blogging instead of getting work done. However, I am so thankful to have a job where my creativity and problem-solving skills are more important than face time. For the first time in my IT career, I have the freedom and flexibility to use my talents to their fullest, while being largely shielded from the political bullshit that exists in most of corporate America.

Life is good.

Comments:
Glad to see you are getting back into the swing of things well.

Sorry to hear about your new years. Sorry for the bluntness, but D sounds like a hypocritical child-bitch. You are better off without her.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger