The Drake Musing
12.03.2005
 
taking care of things
I may have already alluded to this, but I think that one of the great lessons that God is teaching me in these post-D days is to learn to care for other living things. There's Miss Maddie, she of the innumberable pee stains on the second floor carpet. Since D's been gone, Maddie has pooped inside the house twice and peed once. Now that may not seem like such a good tally for only three days, but I've just started teaching her how things are gonna be now that the clean freak is in charge. Now that her and I are the only creatures needing to be cleaned up after.

Continuing on that theme, I went out and spent $200 on houseplants. D took the kitchen table we used in the breakfast nook, so I had to move the one I was using in the sunroom over to the breakfast nook. I never liked it in there anyway. It took up too much room. I've wanted to line the front and back walls with countertops for quite a while, and this is my chance. The front window faces south, so it gets a LOT of sun. AND there's about 12 feet of window frontage, and two skylights.

So I am going to dismantle the humongous entertainment that D left and build countertops out of them. I bought about 10 plants from Lowe's, half flowering and the other half foilage. A couple of hanging plants, and I'm good to go.

Like everything I attempt to do, I'm hoping to do it big. Plants in every room. My grandmother did this, and she always had things looking healthy. She was also the matriarch of the angry branch of our clan. So I guess I take after her. Word is the it took her most of her life to soften to the point where other people could enjoy what she had to offer. She was 83 when she died.

I hope I'm a quicker study than she.

That's why I'm doing caregiving rehad. Taking care of simple things and not living in filth are my first steps. Maybe after I learn how to love and nourish simpler life forms, God will introduce me to someone that I won't push away.

Comments:
http://www.westonpriory.org/

This place has always appealed to me.
 
Not that I think you have to "retreat" to achieve it, though. Or seperate men from women.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger