The Drake Musing
11.29.2005
 
Fourteen Ways You've Blessed Me
Last breath: not yet

1. You helped me get back on track with my life.
2. You gave me the motivation to finally get a home of my own.
3. You were my best reason yet to learn how to forgive and forebear.
4. You forced me to face my own faults.
5. With your help, I've done my best work ever with my hands.
6. That thing that you do that I like. I REALLY, really LIKE it!
7. Your children have helped me find a calling to coach young boys in baseball.
8. They have also helped to make this football season the best since the Steelers were winning Super Bowls instead of losing AFC championship games.
9. Your financial gifts and knowledge has helped me learn to make the most of my resources.
10. The way that your poinsettas have flowered again this season blesses me. Please let me keep the red one!
11. The conflicts that we've had over living the Christian life have only served to solidify my commitments both to God and my children.
12. If it wasn't for your love of animals, I wouldn't have my Miss Maddie to cuddle on these coming winter nights. I will train her, keep her clean and groomed, and love her.
13. You made a lot of things possible for me, just by being attractive enough to keep me interested.
14. The tithe victory is one you should cherish for the rest of your life. You taught me something I didn't already know.

Comments:
i have not had a spouse leave me, (and i hope i never do ) but you seem to be focusing on the positive she brought to your life. this sounds very mature.

i am glad you are doing the best you can.

perhaps letting her go is best. maybe she will come back?

what do you think?
 
i needed to sit down and focus on the good. God has been showing me how much He's blessed me with in my life. My best is yet to come, at least in a personal nature.

i struggle with the thought of being alone, maybe for the rest of my life. but i am not alone. i have five wonderful children who love me despite my many flaws. i have two aunts and an uncle living within five miles of me, who all go to my church and share my hope in Christ.

i have several friends at church who seem to accept and support me as i go through this.

i have a great job and a patient, understanding and affirming boss. i have a home that is HUGE, but which i have decided to open up to friends, family and whomever God might lead to my doorstep.

D was a big part of helping me get out of the rut where i was living my life and energized me to reach for more before i leave this world for good.

letting her go is the only thing i can do. will she come back? i doubt it. i'm not sure i'm going to leave the door open to that. this is the kind of choice that you don't easily reverse, once the divorce is final and the change of address complete. there are biblical precedents for believing that it probably isn't even right, depending on a few things.

first, she hasn't convinced me that she truly desires to follow Christ, or that she accepts the final authority of His Word on matters such as marriage, divorce, prayer, submission, etc.

second, i have come to believe that the following passage from I Corinthians 7 speaks to my situation.

" 10To the married I give this command (not I, but the Lord): A wife must not separate from her husband. 11But if she does, she must remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband. And a husband must not divorce his wife.

12To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord): If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her. 13And if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him. 14For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.

15But if the unbeliever leaves, let him do so. A believing man or woman is not bound in such circumstances; God has called us to live in peace. 16How do you know, wife, whether you will save your husband? Or, how do you know, husband, whether you will save your wife?"

My conclusions from this are that D must decide to come back and submit to the authority of the Lord in this home ONLY if she hasn't already gone out and gotten herself into another intimate relationship. The fact of the divorce points me to the second half of the passage. I question her belief, and am no longer under any obligation to her as a husband, based on her choice to divorce in disobedience.

That all being said, however, I won't rule anything out should her thinking and desire change.
 
so what is the thing she does/did that you really like? pardon for the intrusion, but i am damn curious!!
 
ah, that's something just between me and her.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger