The Drake Musing
10.19.2005
 
What's My Motivation?
Last toke: 84 days
Last smoke: 77 days

With this week being devoted to an offsite training class, my morning drive schedule has shifted back about two hours. That means, along with extra sleep in the morning, I am listening to different radio preachers. Chuck Swindoll is on at 8 and Charles Stanley at 8:30.

Stanley was finishing up a 3-day series on self-discipline. Needless to say, I found it very depressing, given my current situation and the fact that I have very little self-discipline historically.

This morning, however, he said something that caught my attention. He made the point that if people don't have any motivation, self-discipline for it's own sake is nothing more than legalism.

"Bingo!", I thought, "I have no real motivation." And it's true. There is nothing in my life that really makes me want to get out of bed in the morning. When I thought back to the few times in my life that I was able to exercise any level of discipline, I had some compelling goal or reason motivating me behind the scenes.

When I was in college, I studied and got involved in theatre because I wanted to pave the way for a future that got me free from my parents' meaningless, bourgeois worldview. I suspect that part of my motivation was also to show my parents that I was smart, talented and finally worthy of their acceptance and affirmation.

That worked out well.

When I split from my second wife, V., I was highly motivated to succeed in my newly found career in IT -- partly to get the income I would need to have a decent life while still supporting my children and partly to show her that I could be successful, motivated, prosperous and worthy of her acceptance and affirmation.

Once I got to a certain point in my career where I had shown all of those things and more, I got bored. And she barely noticed anyway.

A few years back, I got a bit motivated to lose weight and work out because I felt that would enhance my enjoyment of the swinging life. But that also depended on finding someone who shared that same motivation. And it also got old and tired.

Most recently, I was pretty motivated to get back into 'spiritual shape', but my motivation has been tough to maintain. At first, I felt that there might be a way for me to get connected, and it seemed to be working for a while. However, as my troubles in my marriage have mounted, and the same old failures keep besetting me, I find myself withdrawing in the face of well-meaning, but typically unsatisfying attempts to encourage me by my brothers and sisters in the church I attend.

Chuck Swindoll told a great story yesterday that I totally identified with. I've long suspected that either I am highly deficient with respect to my experience of the Christian life, or that most of the people I encounter in the Church either simply don't get it or are bald-faced liars and posers.

Anyway, Swindoll talked about a hiking outing that members of his church organized. After all the usual signing up, planning, organizing and scheduling, the group went on a hike up to a beautiful vista somewhere in Southern California. It soon became clear, however, that some people were less suited to this level of exertion than others. One woman, in particular, lagged far behind. Others, more fit and 'motivated', called to her from the summit -- regaling her with their impressions of the stupendous view from the top and telling her that she 'could do it'. Swindoll's point here being that it's probably not worth it to sprint ahead of our 'weaker' brothers, and definitely not helpful to offer that kind of disconnected 'encouragement'.

This is how I feel every time someone at church tells me that I just need to 'do it' or that they haven't 'given up' on me. People don't really want to come down where I am and get a clue on what it feels like, and I'm not particularly eager to burden them. I've been there, and the only thing that seems to happen is that whoever is stupid enough to try and walk with me ends up finally giving up on me.

So what is my motivation?

God loves me? My kids need me? Both true, but unfortunately not sufficiently penetrating, especially considering that my kids could do a lot better than me for a father.

I'm supposed to have a purpose, and that's supposed to drive me to deny myself, get up in the morning, forego my right to react to the numerous character flaws, overt sins, injustices and inconveniences that exist in my life like weeds on steroids.

Someone recently told me that setting goals based on avoiding negative consequences is a pretty piss poor way to live life. I'm inclined to agree. At the same time, about the only thing that I can do is just maintain and try to avoid having things get worse than they already are while I try and find something that can truly motivate me for the long haul.

Comments:
Sometimes you say really stupid things. You kids could do a lot better than you for a father? Your kids wouldn't exist if you weren't their father. They know YOU, and need things from YOU, not generic good stuff from a parental figure. It's possible to give someone else's kids things they've missed out on, but it doesn't ever entirely compensate for the fact that they didn't get them from the person they longed to get them from. Your kids might need you to get your shit together, but they don't need or want somebody else.

I firmly believe that what you want to do is inate to you at any moment, and doing anything at all that you want to do (for real, not out of desire, frustration, etc, but in truth and pleasure), even the smallest thing, will lead you towards what you want to do. It's as if the truth is waiting for you, always. Don't worry about large solutions, just trust in the way you are designed, who you are.

I was thinking along these lines myself, since I need new challenges and inspirations all the time too. As soon as I've mastered something, I want to do something else. I think that's what happens in a lot of marraiges. If people get married without really being in love, as soon as they've mastered the situation they lose interest and start searching for a new challenge. They could probably stick it out and make things work if they both wanted to, since it seems to work in societies that have arranged marraiges, but they aren't ever going to fall in love. That is, if you believe in falling in love. Maybe most people don't really care if they do or they don't, and can be happy as long as there is mutual attraction and comradery. But if you start wanting more, just that particular person who you want to merge with, it's unlikely that you'll be satisfied with less. Otherwise, you'll just keep moving on.

I think, and I'm in good company here (C.S.Lewis, Mere Christianity), that your desire for something is proof of it's existence. If it exists, it's worth holding out for. Seek, and ye shall find.

All right, I've rambled on enough.

"Cheer up, Brian."
You'll be fine.
 
In other words, your motivation is built in. You just have to be true to it.
 
i have no idea what that means.
 
All right then, try taking my word for it. If you start to listen to yourself in very small areas, and do small things you want to do, you will find yourself being drawn towards larger things. It does happen. The reason you have no motivation is because you have no idea what you want to do. I don't mean like your earlier sources of motivation, which were, as you say yourself, reactions to things which have gone wrong, or compensation for something that was lacking. I mean the desire to do the thing that you want to, or should be, doing next. It becomes its own motivation, because you are facing forward, and want to move closer to what you want, and, ultimately, God.

I wish I could just zap you so you understood.
 
i would like to rule the world.

;)
 
Ah. Who wouldn't?
 
"In other words, your motivation is built in. You just have to be true to it."

Huh? I've been studing motivation and human behavior for quite awhile - I disagree.

Needs might be built in, but motivation isn't.
 
motivation comes from inside...it can't be taught...
 
i tend to agree with the last comment. motivation comes from something that already exists inside of us.

i suppose it can be enhanced, strengthened or diminished by choices, discipline, etc.

my issue is not that i lack motivation, per se, but that i have not found sufficient, internal motivation to stay the course towards a goal or goals that i've rationally come to believe are more worthy than others.

motivation requires a goal, or obtaining a goal requires motivation. however you want to look at it.

i disagree strongly with Jeanne's presumption that what i need is already inside of me, and that all i need to do is to basically do what i want.

sure, i have some motivations within me at the moment, the strongest of which is to go out and find me some new fuck buddies, a nice big bag of weed and party it up.

that's my real motivating force, but i am ignoring it because i recognize the cost.

i have a goal to be a man of godly impact, but quite little motivation to take the steps needed to stay on that path.

so i sleep and watch tv and wait for the other shoe to drop...
 
Jeanne didn't mean that at all. Jeanne meant that there is a distinction between want and want, the one being natural, immediate, and essential, and the other being a compensation for frustrated needs. You call it sin. Well, sin is just a word. It is not a unique substance, it is a catagory, and as with all human behavior our "sins" are traceable and understandable. The "sin" lies in the fact that we are steered by our frustrations rather than the longings of our innate natures, which want to reunite with GOODNESS. That is what Jeanne meant.
 
what is up drake?????
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger