The Drake Musing
8.25.2005
 
The Women's Issue
Last Toke: 29 days
Last Smoke: 22 days

A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner. But women will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety.

I Timothy 2:11-15

The discussion topic on the radio today was "Should women be pastors?" I hate this subject, because it really pisses most women off, even if they are Christians. However, there it is, in black and white. And there really is no other passage in the Bible that contradicts it, or provides for an 'cultural' interpretation, in spite of how much I and others would like to see such wiggle room.

Even reading the passage above, I find it hard to believe that Paul could say things that seem so insulting and degrading to my 21st century, American ears.

However, I think we need to be very clear to keep the scope and context of this injunction clear. This is part of a longer passage instructing Gentile Christians in proper worship and church leadership structure. While I don't agree with 'Christian feminists' -- such as my second ex-wife -- that another part of the context has to be the consideration of the patriarchical society of the first century world and the totally subordinate role of women within it, I do agree that the limit of this submission does not extend beyond the context of formal worship and church government. Male chauvinists took the concept too far for far too long, and now women are taking it too far back into the realm of Christ's Body.

There were several callers today who refuted the authority of this Scripture by focusing on an individual's 'anointing' -- yet another indulgence in the subjectivity of spiritual giftedness over the plain words of God's Revealed Will in Scripture. Not even worth debating. Those who continue to choose to believe mystical tricks and games will reap what they sow.

Still others wanted to make a case that the experience of the three women at the tomb refutes this teaching because Jesus chose to appear to them even before the apostles, thus making them the first evangelists. Nonsense. The office of evangelist is a bit more than the ordinary evangelism that we are all called to do. Moreover, these women didn't call a worship service in order to make a formal announcement. They rushed to the apostles in their joy and excitement with wonderful news, bringing the pure light and joy of their feminine calling into the mix. Also, let's not forget that in Luke 8, three women are also mentioned explicitly as traveling companions with Jesus and the disciples, but very much in a supporting, behind-the-scenes role. Mary Magdelene is mentioned in both Luke 8 and the resurrection tomb scene in Luke 24.

Another, more compelling attempted rebuttal involved the episode in Acts 18 where Apollos came to Ephesus, preaching Christ, but the baptism of John, and was taught the more complete doctrine of the Holy Spirit and Baptism by Priscilla and Aquila. But hold on. IN THEIR HOME. Not in the synagogue or the meeting place of believers.

What this means is that certainly a specific woman can and will have a great deal more spiritual knowledge than a man, but based on Paul's teaching (which relies greatly on gender principles embedded in the story of the Creation and Fall that would have been well understood by Jews of the day), whatever knowledge or wisdom she has to give should be done privately.

Finally, a woman caller who had been in the mission field in the '70's made the best point I had ever heard someone make on this subject. She was taught that, even though she had mountains more knowledge and experience in the ways of God, her role was to equip men to fulfill their natural spiritual leadership role in such a way as to not compromise or discourage their growth in that role. She said she hated it at first, but once she began to see how God would move in these men's lives, she saw the wisdom of this teaching.

As I listened to her speak, I thought of how special it would have felt to have had that kind of loving, self-sacrificing encouragement and support. Men and boys are simply not cherished in this culture today. In fact, we are often made to feel as if there is something terribly wrong with us, as the sins of our patriarchal fathers are visited on us by hordes of angry, bitter women out to get their piece of the power pie.

How sad that when I needed so badly to be affirmed in my giftedness, the only adult around -- my mother -- was too busy getting her teaching degree and fending of my father's rage to be that kind of encouragement. How sad that so many boys are cut off from their masculine nature by embittered mothers who've been left, or have left similarly crippled men in disgust, not recognizing that the very thing they find lacking in their failed spouses is the kind of confident, assertive leadership that's been beaten or shamed out of us for the past two generations.

Women we need you. Badly. Not to tell us what to do, but to help shape our vision of ourselves as men of TRUE strength. MORAL strength.

Comments:
You reminded me (us) of something, for which I thank you.

This is the first thing I've heard you say that you really mean. It is something with some truth in it. I don't mean the bible quote, but your own words. I can feel you longing for rightness and good, not obeying out of fear.

I don't care if you start sputtering about the unimportance of my words to you. You heard them anyway.
 
Jeanne,

Um... Thanks?

I usually pretty much mean everything I say, but you are right about the longing for rightness and good.

As for the 'unimportance' of your words, I don't want you to misunderstand my position. You evidently have more than average intelligence and education going for you, so I would never say that your thoughts, feelings or experiences are not valid or important -- at least to you.

I will just re-iterate my stance that no one's opinion, even my own, stands above the Word of Truth in the Bible. I seek only greater depths of truth and wisdom from that fountainhead.

I realize that I have far to go before I arrive, but at least I am confident in being on the right path.
 
Drake,

As I anticipate the arrival of my firstborn, a son, into this world, it is with the awesome joy of knowing he's got a mother who will take the time and care to raise him as a man of God. I'm not alone - what a great thing!

Scripture is full of Godly women. Think of Samuel's mother. Timothy's mother and grandmother. Priscilla, probably the only woman in Scripture referred to by her nickname - Prisca.

There are more... and each make a great study!
 
Your site Blogger, I found to be very interesting. When I was searching for Youth Leadership Council yours was the most eyecatching. While working on my site Youth Leadership Council I have been seeking ways to make it better and found yours to be helpful. Thanks!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger