The Drake Musing
5.05.2005
 
Blog Tag!
The Unseen Blogger just tagged me. I have to complete 5 of the sentences below, and tag at least one other blogger I know to do the same.

If I could be a scientist...
If I could be a farmer...
If I could be a musician...
If I could be a doctor...
If I could be a painter...
If I could be a gardener...
If I could be a missionary...
If I could be a chef...
If I could be an architect...
If I could be a linguist...
If I could be a psychologist...
If I could be a librarian...
If I could be a lawyer...
If I could be an inn-keeper...
If I could be an athlete...
If I could be a professor...
If I could be a writer...
If I could be a llama rider...
If I could be a bonnie pirate...
If I could be an astronaut...
If I could be a world famous blogger...
If I could be a justice on any one court in the world...
If I could be married to any current famous political figure...
If I could be a dog trainer...

Here are my five vocational fantasies.

If I could be a musician, I would be the drummer and lyricist of the next band to continue in the tradition of U2, Jars of Clay, POD and Switchfoot, meaning that I would be the creative voice and driving rhythm of a band whose worldview is Christian, but whose art is relevant, topical, connective and plugged in to life as it really is. There is no such thing as Christian music, only music that lives and breathes the love, passion and purpose of our Risen Lord to a seeking audience. I love the drums. I used to pound on them with all the passion in my soul, building up the sweat of longing, aching and reaching out to tell the world what a great life God has given me. I really despise most Contemporary Christian music because it's so artificial and propagandistic. Jesus doesn't need a marketing campaign. He wants to draw people to Himself through the passionate, meaningful and loving lives of His disciples. I want to let people know somehow that my life is full of struggles, that I am hopelessly broken, but that I experience such hope and meaning because of the God who loved me to death (literally) in spite of my sad, pathetic state.

If I could be an inn-keeper, I would own a cozy, but upscale, bed and breakfast in the Laurel mountains southeast of Pittsburgh. This inn would be surrounded by breathtaking natural beauty on acres of wooded, mountainous land and set up so as to provide a porch view of a neighboring valley stretching for 10 or more miles on a clear day. It would be isolated, but close enough to the better resorts in the area. I wouldn't want to be a resort, however. I would want the ambience to be rustic and intimate, replete with fireplaces and gathering areas for conversation and games. There would be no TV's, but an atmosphere of Christian warmth, hospitality and humility in service. I would run the place with my wife and children, and ensure that employees from the area would be paid well and have full benefits. This would be a place of refuge, solace, rest and relationship building.

If I could be an athlete, I would be a professional golfer. Combining the work ethic of Vijay Singh with the athleticism and creativity of Tiger Woods. I would travel the world year-round to play the greatest test of individual character in the sports realm, and hope to honor my Lord with a gracious approach to the game. I'd also hope to win a lot of money, of course, but would be very happy to have played with dignity, grace and tenacity in the face of the inevitable adversity that the game brings. In fact, I'd be ecstatic to be able to do that on my home course right now.

If I could be a world famous blogger, I wouldn't be feeling guilty about doing this during work hours. Blogging would be my work, and I'd be engaging, witty and relevant to a generation of evangelicals struggling to be salt and light in a very troubled world during a very troubled time. None of which I am at the moment, unfortunately.

If I could be married to any current famous political figure, I'd probably pass. I just don't think I would be up to playing the games that political types have to play in order to get something worthwhile accomplished. It just seems like too much moral compromise would have to be involved. However, if the question was that I could only be married to a currently famous political figure or I would be married at all, I couldn't not be married. So given my limited knowledge of women in the political spotlight, my list would be as follows: 1) Ann Coulter, for obvious reasons; 2) Condi Rice, because she has style and an undercurrent of steaminess that makes me wonder...; 3) Laura Bush (er... Drake), because she's beautiful, loyal and faithful; 4) Ainsley Haynes, the conservative Republican White House Counsel in Jed Bartlett's utopian Liberal administration on "The West Wing", as played by Emily Procter (currently seen in CSI: Miami) because a) she's totally HOT and b) I loved the story about how she came to be an employee of the only really good media vehicle the Democrats have had in at least 30 years; and 5) Dee Dee Myers, because she was the first woman AND youngest person ever to serve as White House Press Secretary, because she had (or at least that's how I remember) a cherubic sexuality that I find hard to resist, and because she's a creative consultant for "The West Wing" -- the sum of which compensates for her being a liberal.

Now that I've bored you with this all-too-revealing look at my fantasy world, I tag slcurbanprincess, Sara Zarr, and Sam to carry on this little game. Remember to tag your blogging friends!

Comments:
Excellent list, The Drake.
 
Well, I'm glad someone besides me feels like "Christian" music is just a big commercial. :) I think that's why I don't get into it; ironically, it has no soul. However, there are many supposedly secular songs about God that ROCK.

Also, for someone who has no interest in marrying a politico, you certainly seem to have well-thought-out and articulate opinions on the sexiness of many of our female political leaders. ;)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger