The Drake Musing
4.21.2005
 
The Lessons of James
I've been struggling with a few issues lately, mostly concerning my walk with the Lord. Circumstances have come up in my life to cause me to really focus on the teaching in James. The apostle opens up with this humdinger of a statement:

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him." (vv. 2-5)

Well, I've been having a few trials, but I've hardly been considering it 'pure joy'. D. and I got into it over the IRS tax bill to the point where she started packing boxes last Friday. The good people here in HR discovered a 'derogatory' flag during my employment verification process that threatens to rescind my job offer. This flag was placed somewhere out on the Internet where HR people do whatever it is that they do by my last full time employer, from which I was fired for not being a total suck up to a bunch of abusive big fish in a small pond. Which, of course, brought up the whole nightmare of that injustice which greatly contributed to my need to file bankruptcy six months later.

To top it all off, I have been so thoroughly fatigued that I can barely get out of bed or stay awake much past dinner.

So I find the words of James extremely compelling. One thing I know for sure, perseverence is being practiced. Joy? Eh, I'm working on it.

Then James goes on to say: "My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires." (vv. 19,20)

There's a bit of advice I would have been wise to remember last week when D. sent me an email blaming me for our tax problem (mostly true) and deciding that she was being screwed in our division of financial responsibilities (definitely NOT true). But, instead, I went off about how if she was going to make the relationship about money and power, what was the point. Then I went on the next evening to correct her assumptions with the real numbers and proclaim myself the majority stakeholder in this 'partnership', with all of the decision making power over shared assets. That's when she started packing.

Also, "If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless. Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." (vv. 26,27)

If only liberals would get this concept, they'd have a heck of lot more to offer the country. But what gets my attention is the whole 'tight rein on the tongue' thing. Not my strength, by any stretch of the imagination. I just need to learn to shut up when confronting things that piss me off. When I'm indignant, anything is likely to come spouting out of my piehole. I've found it has a tendency to set a bad tone for any ensuing discussion.

And finally, "As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead." (2:26)

This is the bottom line in my struggles. I do some things consistent with my faith, but am far, far, far from where I want to be. More embarassing is the amount of things I do and say at home and at work that make me indistinguishable from the pagan horde. Very depressing.

So I began to develop a habit of prayer during my ride into work each day. Rick Warren, author of "The Purpose Driven Life", devotes a whole chapter to the 'pray without ceasing' habit and 'practising the presence of God' throughout one's day. It's been pretty interesting to see how simply giving more time to just talking about what's going on in my life, my head and with those around me helps me be more focused throughout the day.

Although I still catch myself making the off-color joke, or checking out a woman's ass, I seem to be much more aware of God being there with me. This has the effect of making me think, "Oh yeah! Right! Probably shouldn't be doing this. Sorry, God."

This finds me still a long way off from exuding the Shekinah glory, but it feels like progress.

So I guess that I should consider this process 'pure joy.'

Lord, may it be so!

Comments:
I'll continue to pray for you, my friend.

Man, that really sucks about the employment flag. I hope your former employer realizes that if they give anything other than length of employment verification, they can be held liable if they tell something untrue that costs you a job in the future.
 
place your top row of teeth onto your tongue. in this position, it is impossible to make unnecessary comments that complicate the issue.

learn to listen. walk. think. respond in a way the makes the other person respect you, not hate you.

learn from my mistakes........
now go......
 
how are you doing today? i have said some prayers for you. i want your situation to work out for you.

everyday trials are so tough. how do we manage? we worry about job, money, marriage, children, our vices.

to me, it seems that God has led me to people. also God was there when I needed to be moved. for what purpose, I am not sure. i can tell you this, no matter what the situation, good, bad or ugly, i have moved to a situation that is a bit better than the last.

i am not sure where i am going with this. hang in there. remebering that God is aware of you and will look out for you. no one on this earth can hurt you. please keep praying and walking with faith.

as will i.
 
I shall pray for you.

It is intersting that the subject of joy is addressed throughout Scripture. True joy is something that happens extraneous to my current circumstance, yet carries me through it. The following may be alittle long, I apologize, but I think it gives a good over-view of where we find instruction as to joy in the Scriptures. I got it from one of my helpful resources:

Joy

- God gives
Ec 2:26; Ps 4:7

- Christ appointed to give
Isa 61:3

- Is a fruit of the Spirit
Ga 5:22

- The gospel, good tidings of
Lu 2:10,11

- God's word affords
Ne 8:12; Jer 15:16

- The gospel to be received with
1Th 1:6

- Promised to saints
Ps 132:16; Isa 35:10; 55:12; 56:7

- Prepared for saints
Ps 97:11

- Enjoined to saints
Ps 32:11; Php 3:1

- Fulness of, in God's presence
Ps 16:11

- Vanity of seeking, from earthly things
Ec 2:10,11; 11:8

- EXPERIENCED BY
• Believers
Lu 24:52; Ac 16:34

• Peace-makers
Pr 12:20

• The just
Pr 21:15

• The wise, and discreet
Pr 15:23

• Parents of good children
Pr 23:24

- Increased to the meek
Isa 29:19

- OF SAINTS IS
• In God
Ps 89:16; 149:2; Hab 3:18; Ro 5:11

• In Christ
Lu 1:47; Php 3:3

• In the Holy Spirit
Ro 14:17

• For election
Lu 10:20

• For salvation
Ps 21:1; Isa 61:10

• For deliverance from bondage
Ps 105:43; Jer 31:10-13

• For manifestation of goodness
2Ch 7:10

• For temporal blessings
Joe 2:23,24

• For supplies of grace
Isa 12:3

• For divine protection
Ps 5:11; 16:8,9

• For divine support
Ps 28:7; 63:7

• For the victory of Christ
Joh 16:33

• For the hope of glory
Ro 5:2

• For the success of the gospel
Ac 15:3

- OF SAINTS SHOULD BE
• Great
Zec 9:9; Ac 8:8

• Abundant
2Co 8:2

• Exceeding
Ps 21:6; 68:3

• Animated
Ps 32:11; Lu 6:23

• Unspeakable
1Pe 1:8

• Full of glory
1Pe 1:8

• Constant
2Co 6:10; Php 4:4

• For evermore
1Th 5:16

• With awe
Ps 2:11

• In hope
Ro 12:12

• In sorrow
2Co 6:10

• Under trials
Jas 1:2; 1Pe 1:6

• Under persecutions
Mt 5:11,12; Lu 6:22,23; Heb 10:34

• Under calamities
Hab 3:17,18

• Expressed in hymns
Eph 5:19; Jas 5:13

- Afflictions of saints succeeded by
Ps 30:5; 126:5; Isa 35:10; Joh 16:20

- Pray for restoration of
Ps 51:8,12; 85:6

- Promote, in the afflicted
Job 29:13

- OF SAINTS, MADE FULL BY
• The favour of God
Ac 2:28

• Faith in Christ
Ro 15:13

• Abiding in Christ
Joh 15:10,11

• The word of Christ
Joh 17:13

• Answers to prayer
Joh 16:24

• Communion of saints
2Ti 1:4; 1Jo 1:3,4; 2Jo 1:12

- Saints should afford, to their ministers
Php 2:2; Phm 1:20

- MINISTERS SHOULD
• Esteem their people as their
Php 4:1; 1Th 2:20

• Promote, in their people
2Co 1:24; Php 1:25

• Pray for, for their people
Ro 15:13

• Have, in the faith and holiness of their people
2Co 7:4; 1Th 3:9; 3Jo 1:4

• Come to their people with
Ro 15:32

• Finish their course with
Ac 20:24

• Desire to render an account with
Php 2:16; Heb 13:17

- Serve God with
Ps 100:2

- Liberality in God's service should cause
1Ch 29:9,17

- Is strengthening to saints
Ne 8:10

- Saints should engage in all religious services with
Ezr 6:22; Ps 42:4

- Saints should have, in all their undertakings
De 12:18

- Saints shall be presented to God with exceeding
1Pe 4:13; Jude 1:24

- The coming of Christ will afford to saints, exceeding
1Pe 4:13

- Shall be the final reward of saints at the judgment day
Mt 25:21

- OF THE WICKED
• Is derived from earthly pleasures
Ec 2:10; 11:9

• Is derived from folly
Pr 15:21

• Is delusive
Pr 14:13

• Is short-lived
Job 20:5; Ec 7:6

• Should be turned into mourning
Jas 4:9

• Shall be taken away
Isa 16:10

- Holy-Illustrated
Isa 9:3; Mt 13:44

- Holy-Exemplified
• Hannah
1Sa 2:1

• David
1Ch 29:9

• Wise men
Mt 2:10

• The Virgin Mary
Lu 1:47

• Zacchaeus
Lu 19:6

• Converts
Ac 2:46; 13:52

• Peter, &c
Ac 5:41

• Samaritans
Ac 8:8

• Jailor
Ac 16:34
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger