The Drake Musing
4.01.2005
 
Come on, baby! Light my fire!
Wow, it feels to me like this is the least amount of posting I've done in a week since I started this blog. I feel guilty. Not like anyone really cares all that much about what I write, but I am a closet people pleaser.

Part of the reason is that I'm a bit tired of writing about such heavy and incendiary subjects. So I'm going to end the week on a lighter note.

First, I saw a really good movie on DVD this week - Eulogy. This comedy about four siblings from a highly dysfunctional family who come together with their children on the occasion of their father'sudden passing is a real hoot. My favorite characters are these two barely teenaged identical twins whose libidinous antics are in stark contrast with their physical maturity.

Not to ruin the ending for my faithful readers who will no doubt heed my recommendation by rushing out and renting this movie tonight, but one of the funniest bits involves the dead father's wish for his remains to be floated out from the shore (the story takes place in Rhode Island) and incinerated Viking-style. Contrary to every known law regarding the disposing of the dead, the family actually does it, with the twins taking total charge of the pyrotechnics by drilling holes into the cheap pine coffin, filling it with gasoline, and shooting flaming arrows at the rowboat-turned-funeral-pyre once it's out in the middle of the lake, lagoon, whatever.

That's how I what my funeral to go. Let my grandchildren have fun blowing up my corpse while my kids tell funny stories about what an enormous goofball I was. Screw the solemnity surrounding our WASPish burial rites! My family had better have a barbeque and bust my chops just like they do now. No tears. Jokes. Side splitting laughter. That's what I want.

I'm going to be having a good time, why shouldn't they?

Have a great weekend!

Comments:
I'm definately going to have to rent that now. Sounds hilarious.

Hm... A viking style funeral! Excellent idea. To quote Yellowbeard, "Then again, it is how he always wanted to die... horribly."
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger