The Drake Musing
3.02.2005
 
Principles
Every morning on my drive into work, I listen to teaching programs on the local Christian radio station here in the 'Burgh. My drive only takes about 45 minutes, so I only get to hear one program fully -- Walk In the Word, with Dr. James McDonald. I only recently (about two months ago) started listening to this program because of a choice I made to move my work time back an hour -- meaning I get in and leave work an hour earlier than I used to. Anyway, I made this decision in reaction to a situation with my wife, but I did so reluctantly and somewhat angrily. Despite my bad attitude, my decision was driven by a desire to do something helpful (i.e. -- be home in time to make dinner for the family).

Anyway, as a result of my change in drive times, I have been really digging on the message and ministry of Walk In The Word.

This morning, Dr. McDonald finished a series on living in holiness with a teaching on Eight Principles to Live Your Life By. I can't remember the exact wording of them, but I've got the gist of them listed below.

1. Do all things for God
McDonald said that anytime you're thinking about doing a specific thing, say to yourself, "God, I'm doing this for you." If it sounds ridiculously stupid, then you shouldn't do it. Good idea. I think if I started doing this to myself I'd be walking around either laughing out loud or looking appalled all the time.

2. Do all things in the light of the judgement seat of Jesus Christ
This is something I've reflected on most of my life. Only a lot of the time in the past, I just felt doomed anyway, so it didn't make much difference in my behavior. My perspective is changing a bit these days. Now I am starting to not want to hear the disappointment in Jesus' voice when I stand in the Judgement.

3. Do all things in consideration of my weaker brother
This used to really annoy me. I highly resented having to walk on eggshells around legalists, particularly my parents. Recently, however, I've seen some new Christians really struggling to keep it together, and I don't want to be a cause of stumbling in them.

4. Do nothing that I am not convinced is right to do
This one perplexes me a bit. There are tons of things I do on a daily basis that I am somewhat unsure about. The pastor's point here is to develop into a person of conviction and to live out my life from my convictions, instead of convenience. I get that, but still feel like I could spend most of the day doing nothing in a state of moral paralysis. For instance, I don't really think it's right to be writing a blog post during the work day, since they are not paying me to blog. However, I don't have a lot to do at the moment, having worked hard all morning taking care of stuff. Of course, he didn't say that this was going to be easy or comfortable.

5. Do nothing that has the appearance of evil
He talked about stuff like riding in a car alone with a woman who is not my wife or close relative. I am onboard with that. I will not even allow myself to develop a relationship with another woman that is not in a group context. Women at work? Forget about it! As for other evil, I have a hard time picturing something that appears evil that isn't ACTUALLY EVIL. Maybe he didn't use the word evil. Maybe it was something like wrongdoing or sinful behavior. In any case, I have started to take a look at how others might perceive what they see me doing.

6. Do nothing that could enslave me
This is the one thing that I TOTALLY understand. Hence, the Drake no longer has TV service in his home. Hopefully, I'm running out of things that turn me into a dope.

7. Do all things to the glory of God
This is a popular refrain, but I'm not always sure what it means. I've always sort of thought of this concept as one of deflecting praise for things I've accomplished to humbly recognize and state that if it wasn't for God's grace to me, none of the progress in my life (such as it is) would have happened.

8. Do nothing that Jesus wouldn't do
I find this principle the most compelling of all, because it's a double-edged sword. On the one hand, I am confronted by many of my tendencies to be mean or critical or self-centered in my dealings. On the other hand, however, I am inspired that much of what I say or do in confrontation is probably close to the mark. People tend to forget that the Jesus who forgave the woman caught in adultery was also the same Jesus who took a whip to the money changers in the Temple. Of course, it's very easy for me to fall into the trap of using the Bible as a bludgeoning tool. I just have to continuously question my motives.

All in all, I find these principles to be well thought out, but a bit overwhelming to put into practice. One of the things that I have been struggling with is the overwhelming opposition there is to a holiness approach to Christianity. I often feel alone in my desire to follow God -- at home, at work, in the blogosphere, and sometimes even at church. I would much rather have everyone on the same page, but it doesn't seem to work that way.



Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger