The Drake Musing
3.08.2005
 
Bono, Chairman of the World Bank?!?!


Yep, you heard right. U2's frontman is being held up as a legitimate possibility to fill the current vacancy to head the global institution.

Treasury Secretary John Snow spoke highly of the Irish singer in a public statement over the weekend and would not rule out putting him on the short to present to President Bush.

"He's somebody I admire. He does a lot of good in this world of economic development," Snow said.

"Most people know him as a rock star. He's in a way a rock star of the development world, too. He understands the give-and-take of development. He's a very pragmatic, effective and idealistic person," Snow said.

Bono has also been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize for his tireless campaigning for rich nations to forgive third world debt. This is an effort I am completely behind. If we lose Africa to the perception that we are brutal Shylocks demanding our pound of flesh instead of purveyors of freedom and democracy, we are gonna have some serious -- and deserved -- trouble in the years ahead.

I've always been a big fan of Bono, ever since I heard "Sunday, Bloody Sunday" back at school. Despite the fact that he is undoubtedly a liberal, and a huge critic over the years of American Conservatism, Bono has more than walked the talk in his efforts to use his fame for a higher purpose.

I have been particularly impressed with his more conciliatory posture towards America in recent years, including his gesture during the halftime show at the Super Bowl the year prior to the 'malfunction' when he opened his coat to reveal the stars and stripes, as the victims of 9/11/ scrolled across the stage backdrop. Compassionate and honorable, I say. His recent willingness to sit down with Bush Administration officials and negotiate for what is obviously moral and right is another sign that some of the bombast is giving way to informed maturity.

I doubt I could stand to sit down and debate our differences with this guy for more than a few minutes, but I love so much of the music he has helped to create over the past 25 years and respect this current work for debt relief, that I gotta give the man his props.

Shalom, Paul Hewson!

Comments:
Drake, I am right down the line with you about Bono. I believe him to be a genuine and sincere man, and an huge talent. He HAS walked the walk, which is more than we can say for most loudmouthed-but-ultimately-effete celebrities. But chairman of the World Bank? Wow. I just don't see it. I don't get it. I don't know.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger