The Drake Musing
2.09.2005
 
Why Shalom?
It just occurred to me that I've been closing my posts recently with this traditional Hebrew greeting.

I've made a conscious effort to do so because it means 'peace', and that is something I am not only constantly looking for in my own life, but also wish for others.

A fellow blogger informed me over dinner last week that a certain other blogger (of a leftist persuasion) considered me somewhat heavy-handed. On reflection, I recognize in that heavy handedness a lack of personal, inner harmony out of keeping with my profession of faith.

But I have come to accept that the search for such peace will take a lifetime, and I will not fully attain this side of my last breath. However, I feel the need to put out this blessing as a means of letting people know that, even though we may disagree, I desire only the best for all -- especially those who have enough intellectual and spiritual honesty to debate/discuss/ponder the lofty things that concern us all.

It is my sincere wish for everyone to experience the reality of the words in the traditional Judeo-Christian benediction cited below - myself included.

"The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace." (Numbers 6:24-26 NIV)

Shalom!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger