The Drake Musing
2.25.2005
 
What a Crock!
Found the following during my lunchtime browsing of Drudge. The first public comments of Hunter S. Thompson's widow.

Reading things like this makes me realize how far I have yet to go in my development of Christian character. It's only after I get over my indignation and outrage over this unblinking, self-satisfied, amoral idiocy that I reflect on how sad it really is that people are so completely lost that they can do and say such things with a straight face.

My only prior opinion of Mr. Thompson was formed through a guy I used to work with when I waited on tables at a TGIFriday's. This guy was around 30, living at home with his parents, smoking dope and drinking way too much for his diabetic condition. The last time I saw him, he was about 42, waiting on me at Friday's, probably still living at home, smoking dope and drinking way too much for his diabetic condition. Hunter S. Thompson was one of this guy's philosophic heroes. 'Nuf said.

So while the world, including my broken-down waiter acquaintance (if he hasn't killed himself already), celebrates the memory of this 'great' man, all I can see is tragic waste. Maybe he was a great and talented writer, but apparently he never obtained enough wisdom to keep from destroying himself. His widow is now making her comments about how this ultimate act of self-absorption was a brave and noble thing, and how Mr. Thompson was content and happy in his decision.

Sorry to break it to you, Mrs. Thompson, but I seriously doubt your late husband would describe his current situation as one of either happiness or contentment.

Comments:
I have always wondered at people who consider Thompson to be a "great" man. I've just never gotten how this guy could be someone's hero. This story confirms it. What a bunch of wackos.

Good job, Anita Thompson, at making this cowardly suicide seem like a triumph. That's just what the sick followers of this nutjob need. How many others will now triumph as well?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger