The Drake Musing
12.07.2004
 
Rending the Veil

OK, I've had it with this FCC indecency bullshit. And all of the so-called watchdog groups that are contributing to the ever-increasing bloat of our federal government. And this occurring during a 'conservative' administration.

According to the latest Nielsen's, the latest slut-drama, Desperate Housewives, is pulling in 25 million viewers (or is it households). The Parents Television Council (PTC) is making a lot of noise about how that number, taking into consideration a nation population estimated at 290 million, does NOT reflect the tastes and values of the majority of Americans. These media Nazis further postulate that it is the government's job to protect our innocent children from such smut. The recent spate of indecency fines levied as a result of various titillations and moral 'malfunctions' airing before the universal kiddie bedtime implies that this administration is more than willing to buy into this load of marmalade.

I am embarassed to be identified with any group of so-called believers who think this is the way to go.

First, you need to understand how things work. Follow the money. Instead of whining how Hollywood is ignoring the moral sensibilities of the populace, pull your collective head out of your collective ass and face reality. Hollywood is out to make money, not propagate false morality. The fact that they succeed in selling titillation, adultery, senseless violence and amorality simply means that there is money to be made from it. This should come as no surprise to the Christian.

What Christians in America have always seemed to struggle with is the fact that the tactics of prohibition simply do not work. Jesus didn't walk into the dens of sinners, tax collectors and whores and say, "You shouldn't be doing this, and I shall endeavor to force you to stop." No. Instead, he went into their vile dwellings and offered them a better way. Jesus attracts sinners. The Pharisees were the ones to 'bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders' (Matt. 23:4), not Jesus. Yet that's what we really are here in America. A bunch of fucking Pharisees. Drunk with our political power and looking to lord it over the 'publicans and sinners'.

And just like the Pharisees, it's all about appearances and perceptions. We'd all love to believe that there are 59 million devoted followers of Jesus 'embedded' throughout our nation, but that's just not the case. If it were, this indecency in TV would not even be an issue. The sobering likelihood is that there are less of said disciples in this country than there are devout watchers of Desperate Housewives.

So what does that really mean? It means that these well-orchestrated shows of 'moral force' fester with the stench of hypocrisy! And those so-called 'innocents' for whom these charlatans claim to speak are becoming increasingly alienated as a result of severe neglect and forced moral conduct.

Face it, America! You don't want to make the sacrifices necessary to protect your children from the moral rape perpetuated on commercial television. You either like what is put on, or you want the government to force your babysitter of choice to behave in a manner you see fit, or you simply are too stupid to recognize your alternatives.

Even if the PTC's premise is true, and most folks in America are disgusted by what's on TV, why not put the effort into making an effective change? Go after the money!

You can do this one of two ways. Either orchestrate a campaign with advertisers to exert a greater influence on the content, or put your money where your mouth is and make your own TV. If there is such a market for an alternative, then the advertising money will follow. Of course, this is an oversimplification. There are broadcast licensing issues, etc.

But the bottom line is that, for the Christian, what's on TV is a trivial matter. There are millions of people in our own country starving for the peace and purpose that living for Christ brings.

I fail to see how playing along with the PTC's campaign of coercion contributes to the meeting of that need.


Comments:
I think a large part of it is that mainstream Christian America is made up of SJs, particularly STJs. One thing about STJs is that they LOVE to force their views on others and to control control control.

Part two of the equation: Human nature is to be lazy and obtain through the path of least resistance. So, government is the most likely vehicle of expression of said need to control. Sad, really.

Now, having that been said, I don't really see the PTC's current efforts as a major concern, considering what else we are up against. Their efforts are minor compared to forces like the ACLU, who have managed to somehow get the laws structured to a policy of "If they win, you pay their fees. If they lose, they don't pay yours." So, they have nothing to lose by continuously suing. Plus the entire political correctness movement is being ridiculed, as they are trying to control what we say and what we do in case we offend someone.

Perhaps the religious right should take head of the lessons learned by the left. Take it to an extreme, and no one will take you seriously. The problem with both of these groups is that they live in a world of false consensus. Since almost everyone they interact with thinks the same way they do, they believe that EVERYONE must think the same way they do, or at least a majority that is statistically represented within their own daily experiences. This is one of the main reasons the left just CAN NOT BELIEVE NOR ACCEPT the fact that Bush handily won a second term.

The error of the false consensus is a terrible, destructive thing.
 
NH, i don't really see the PTC's efforts as ultimately having a major impact on media offerings. That's really part of my point. They waste time, money and human resources tilting at windmills, instead of taking a hard look at the reality of America's multi-billion dollar addiction to the entertainment industry and making their presence felt in a constructive, hopeful manner.

I don't actually know if the PTC is a 'Christian' organization, but what i do know is they are putting a public face on Christ that defiles what He did in our midst two thousand years ago.

What I am craving is an uprising of sincere, caring Christians against this legalistic, judgmental crusading taking place in the public square. It's long past time that people like us say, "I'm not with them."

This is something distinctly apolitical, in my mind. The administration got my vote. They will continue to get my support as long as they continue to pursue policies consistent with the values that got them elected. The FCC, as a governmental agency, is a minor concern when compared to the ongoing war on terror, the pending intelligence reform bill, and tax and judicidial reform. But they are still wrong to align themselves with this moral hypocrisy.
 
Maybe I'm about to be WAY WAY WAY off base, and even slightly off-topic, but so be it. What *I* have been noticing in recent years is the bend of the entertainment industry TOWARD more family-friendly fare. You talk of money. Look at the load of cash the Shreks have made. These are good movies that appeal to a wide audience but are very child-friendly. I really believe that some in Hollywood are getting it that they can make a wad of cash with wholesome fare. I believe that we will see a rise in this sort of thing, as well. Maybe I'm all wrong. And frankly, you will probably never again see me post anything positive about Hollywood, but there you have it.

You also say that Hollywood is not out to sell false morality, but I disagree. They are out to sell THEIR morality. This may seem a radical view, but I truly believe that many in Hollywood are out to hijack the children of this country; to get to them, and leave them beyond parental repair. Subconsciously, they want to create an America of lowest common denominators. I often quote Tammy Bruce, but she is right on target with this one. She believes, and now I am convinced, that these Hollywood elites are a bunch of malignant narcissists who need help.

And I'll also say this: If I had children, I would not be the least bit concerned about what was on TV, because my children would be strictly monitored by me, the parent. I would not expect the FCC to be my child's babysitter. About this, DN, you are dead-on. Just as on-target as you could be. Real parenting is about sacrifice. Major sacrifice. And it seems to me that most people are not willing to take responsibility for their own acts of procreation. This leads to more than just the PTC hypocrisy, I think. This leads to every kind of problem. Every kind.

Damn it. Now I'm all fired up and angry again. MUST....DO.....YOGA.
 
CW, i definitely agree that there is more 'family friendly' fare coming out of Hollywood. Why, I myself recently loaded the entire clan into the minivan to go see The Incredibles. Laughed my ass off, too.

As for selling morality, i believe that the bottom line is the bottom line. I think Hollywood really is made up of two elements: the so-called artists and the suits responsible for turning a profit. The writers, directors and actors are most assuredly trying to pawn off their own form of morality because it's what keeps them rich, famous and swapping sex partners like my kids trade Pokemon cards. The suits, however, only care about making money. Problem is, the public hasn't said no to what's being offered up.

The problem, frankly, is us. We loves us some entertainment, and we are all too willing to put aside our critical discernment and moral sensitivity for the opportunity to put up our feet and take a trip to la-la land. i'm more guilty of this than most.

but i'll be damned if i'm going to compound my sin by trying to make the government's fault for allowing 'smut' to enter my living room. last i checked, my remote still had an OFF button.
 
Well, ya' know, you're right. The ON/OFF button is a powerful tool. I, too, am very guilty of erring in favor of ON.

My own hypocrisy is downright alarming. I kid you not: Two years ago I was a guest on Fred Honsberger's TV show promoting my website and agenda to completely boycott Hollywood over the Fourth of July weekend. My platform was not Christian, nor pro-war. I was merely suggesting that we need to collectively make a statement that the court jesters do not run the country. My appearance generated SO MUCH INTEREST, that I pulled the website about a week after the Fourth. I think I got a total of 1500 hits based on the show. Whoop-Dee-Doo. So I got depressed and consoled myself by going out to the movies. Oh, well, at least I got that far.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger